Still on the hunt for that perfect Spring racing outfit?. I know I’m still umm-ing and ahh-ing over my last four outfits for the season. I think I’ve decided upon black lace for Derby. Perhaps something violet and silky for Cup Day…but what about Oaks and Stakes Days? I promise to post the eventual outcomes (in the unlikely event I can hold it with the best of them in the Birdcage).
Happily Mina & Katusha are riding in to offer some last minute inspiration. Having been invited to participate in this year’s Design Award – in collaboration with milliner Gregoria – on Melbourne Cup Day, the duo are advocates of three primary trends;
Textured Whites (lace is a good choice) – white works for the traditonal Derby Day theme.
Daring Prints (tribal and tropical versions have been a hit so far) – save these for the more youthful, casual atmosphere of Stakes day.
And my personal favourite, for the femininity of Oaks Day is this fab shirtdress.
I asked Mina & Katusha designers Sarina Zammit and Katya Baxter about their own Spring racing style:
1. What’s your number one tip for surviving a day at the races?
Be smart about the shoes. To ensure you remain looking like an effortless lady, wear shoes you already have and know you can last longer than an 1hour in. If you have to have new shoes, buy them a couple of week before the day and wear them at home with socks as much as possible. It stretches them out and gets your foot used to it. No point in buying skyscraper heels if you wont last the day in them.
2. How do you pick a winning (hopefully) horse
We are still trying to work that one out
3. Which do you prefer to see a lady wearing on her head; a hat, fascinator or flowers?
It’s up to the individual style and wearing it with confidence.
4. What’s the ultimate fashion don’t for the Spring races?
Barefoot girls at the races… faux pas #1
5. What catwalk fashion trend/look do you wish race goers would translate to the track this year?
Thanks to the designers I have a $100 voucher to giveaway to spend at Mina & Katusha. All you have to do to enter is;
1. Subscribe to our newsletter ‘StyleSnap’ to the right or on our homepage if you aren’t already signed up (we check this).
2. Then email firstname.lastname@example.org using “Mina & Katusha” as the subject line. Remember to use the email you subscribed with and include your full name.
3. Wait to see if you have won this gorgeous prize! The winner will be drawn on 28th October 2011.
Photography – Andrew GanTags: mina & katusha, spring racing fashion