The cooler Autumn and Winter seasons are the times I look forward to “dressing properly”. There are a few style rules I personally, unconsciously abide by throughout Winter (often they apply year round). A few of my style rules may suit you too, many may not;
– Layers. Think of the potential frost; I want to be cosy and warm. Preferably in front of a fireplace with mulled wine, if not breathing out misty clouds on an Autumn afternoon stroll.
– Texture. Below I mix a cable knit, wool, leather, stone, mohair, even a little silk and lace underneath.
– I always need a waist. When in doubt, cinch it.
– Stockings! I stock up on black opaques and a few hardier/patterned versions each year.
– Chunky heels or wedged shoes to provide both height and stability. For Winter this means boots at any length from ankle to the knee.
– Make it personal. Below the vintage carved jade earrings were my grandmother’s and beads at the wrist were a gift from my sister.
– Pockets in everything please.
-Minimal accessories. I rarely wear jewellery in more than two places at once.
This season there are also a few specific styles I plan on employing;
– I’ve suddenly decided I should wear the colour green more often for some reason.
– Red wine lips.
– Dark nails. Painted charcoal, emerald green or deep scarlet.
– Sweater dressing.
I’d love to hear all about your style rules (even if we break them) for Winter especially in the comments below…
Witchery have invited me to style my own outfit to share with you as they will soon be bestowing a $3000 wardrobe on one stylish shopper as they Celebrate Your Style! Cue envy. To celebrate your personal style simply select two pieces from the label’s latest collection and put together a look that is quintessentially “you”. Then email a photo of your look to email@example.com. If your outfit is chosen and posted on Witchery’s Fanpage you’ll automatically receive a $250 voucher. Lucky Devil. The grand prize winner will be judged by international stylist Gabrielle Hackworthy and Madison magazine’s fashion team (an eight-page Witchery fashion spread in the May issue of Madison out Wednesday should provide more inspiration). Hope you like my outfit. Go forth and get dressed!
Wearing ‘April’ mid-heel boot and ‘Gathered Volume’ skirt in khaki both by Witchery. Rest of outfit from my existing wardrobe.