Spring for me, is an exciting end of a painfully long hibernation. After three dreary months, I emerge from my burrow; ghostly white, I shed my old scarf-skin, and breathe in the delicate fresh air.
Spring is in full bloom so rejuvenate your shabby self and take centre stage by stimulating your dress-senses and awaken your inner goddess. Paint yourself with an illuminating palette, as bright oranges, pinks and blues, starch whites, and lighter hues of blush, nude, taupe and hazelnut come abloom. We bow down to the gods of construction as they craft heavenly designs. Masters like Byblos, Gucci, Versace, and Blumarine showcase luxe fabrics and dramatic patterns, proving springtime isn’t all rosy posies – these Melbourne designers give a taste of colour closer to home.
Grab spring by the bulbs this year and embellish your wardrobe with ‘look-at-me’ statement pieces. Let your confidence shine, embrace your natural beauty, and be effortlessly feminine with my top five picks for spring 09, epitomising this season’s hottest trends.
1. A maxi dress is the number one must-have for the warmer months; they’re practical, feminine and flattering. Play naughty but very nice with the Seneca Cut Out Maxi from Indiana by Freda. Cutouts are making huge holes in our runways this season, with glimpses of flesh from Givenchy, Iceberg and Narciso Rodriguez. Revealing a bit of skin is playfully peekaboo but it maintains that sense of sensuality. Cutouts should be simply sexy not simply trashy. Make sure your tan is even before you slip into this little stunner! All you need to complete this look is a pair of oversized sunnies and be ready for your (pouty) grand entrance.
2. The freedom and fun of spring is undeniably in the air with jumpsuits making their colourful revisit. Jumpsuits are the quintessential portrayal of playfulness. Liberate yourself with block colours and be seduced by State of Georgia’s peach jumpsuit- this cheeky number is bursting with energy and effortlessness. The delicate detailing creates a quirky edge however add an embellished necklace to this seemingly casual one-piece and it’s instantly dolled up. Jumpsuits are essential for the survival of upcoming summer festivals and (countless) Sunday sessions.
3. Love is in the air with this Kirrily Johnston gem. There is something intrinsic about this ‘Happening Halter’ goddess gown; its sculptural form is romantic and delicate. The dainty neckline accents a streamlined floaty silhouette. Kirrily Johnston is a genius in her creative production; the femininity of her garments emerges whilst capturing a trendy aesthetic. The nude tone oozes utter sophistication and softness but to create an edge, team it with a sharp-shouldered blazer to contrast the fluidity of the dress.
4. Jazzed up or styled down, denim is the ultimate portal carrying fashionista’s through season to season. Recreate your denim look using a key piece this spring… bleached-out jeans. White Suede has summoned the perfect pair of high-waisted jeans, the Super High Baby Jean; aren’t they to dye for? The wash gives them that ‘rugged’ edge while the high cut accelerates their boldness. Soften these baby’s by adding a cropped tee or for a nautical twist, use stripes and crisp it up with white.
5. Floral print is bloom-tastic! Let the Mini Trapeze Dress, by Emma Veall, brighten up your lazy-hazy days with its graphic print and flirty ruffles. Florals are dainty and girly, truly encapsulating the essence of spring. This frock is classically inspired by the 60s, shaped with a vintage neckline and exaggerated sleeves. Toughen this ditzy look by wearing gladiator sandals and a washed denim vest. Mix extravagant artistic prints or delightful mini florals in your wardrobe for a more vibrant twang.
Wise words by Pia Mazza
Images courtesy labels