We love sparkle, shimmer and shine. And all that Jazz! Channel your inner showgirl this season and be the main attraction. Add some sparkle to a chilly evening out and invest in key exuberant pieces that will save you from your winter blues. Think of old school glamour reinvented by loads of street attitude… Bring on the tough accessories! Take heed from the masters and shine like a star, with the likes of Gucci, Balmain, Sonia Rykiel, Balenciaga, and Aussie Designers Sass and Bide working decadent embellishments and eye-catching fabrics into their Autumn/Winter 2009 collections. Be dramatic but please don’t drape sparkle from head to toe. Choose a gallant piece that tickles your fancy and play up the outfit by mixing textures and fabrics. Leggings made entirely out of sequins mesh amazingly with a basic slouchy tank and a cropped black blazer. I should know; I wore that last weekend! I’ve done the honours of picking this season’s hottest bedazzlements that will help you Melbournian trend-setters make a glam statement and magically stand out from the crowd!
1. If you’re a true fashionista, you will know that that every girl needs a damn good blazer! The blazer is an ubiquitous staple that gets you through work to all kinds of play. This structured yet soft-tailored Willow number has got me drooling, and with black having a revival, it oozes sophistication. The accented shoulder’s keeps in tune with the electric trend, while the paneled sequins add a touch of glamour. Wear it with ripped BF jeans to give it a chic urban edge.
2. Mini-skirts are having a striking come-back this season, with appearances in Roberto Cavalli and Balmain’s Autumn/Winter ’09 range. Make a sexy statement this winter by raising your hemlines and adopt this Tony Maticevski shiny (tiny) mini. The metallic tones scream out futuristic but it still has a feminine quality, creating a rich offset to any outfit. The rule to wearing mini-skirts is, if you’re going to go legging-less: keep it covered on top; at least one half of your body will be toasty.
3. Ahhhhhhhh, the perfect embellished shift dress! Jenny Bannister has produced a sweet, fun yet edgy collection, injecting stunning detail back into women’s clothing. The use of gold and coloured embellishments is a bold and beautiful combination, adding depth and spirit to this dress. The designer said that the idea came from art, “Gustav Klimt, the artist, was the inspiration for the beaded shift dress… the dress comes from a series of one off beaded shifts”. This take on the LBD is feminine without being too girly. Team with a leather biker jacket and instantly crank up the sex appeal.
4. At the risk of sounding fabulously like a disco diva, sequins are sparktacular! I am absolutely head-over-heels for these Wittner pumps. Who said round toe’s are only for the office, Wittner says these baby’s are “the shoe that you party gals have been waiting for!” With reversible sequins, they opt for the perfect matching accessory, not to mention the inbuilt platform for comfort and practicality. The Amber Sequin shoe is available in three different glitters: Black/Silver, Gold/Brown and Blue/Silver. I’m in love.
5. Sportsgirl is a huge fan of infusing that element of sparkle in their garments. The Sexy Back Dress is one standout piece that I’m definitely going to invest in this second, I mean, season! This dress has been hand-sewn with a delicate and dazzling blend of black sequins and beads, stitched in patterned lines. The scoop neck and batwing design is a sculptural and sensual asset for any occasion. So don’t play it safe during the wintry weather, wear this beautifully detailed frock with a fur stole or set it off with wet-look tights and you’ll be good to glow.
Words – Pia Mazza
Images courtesy labelsTags: jenny bannister, sparkle, Sportsgirl, toni maticevski, willow, wittner